FontBook 3.0.1 Has Arrived

fontbook-v3.0.1

Just before the new year, we hit you with FontBook 3.0, bringing the world of type to your pocket. You can now find an update to FontBook in the App Store which includes bug fixes and some additional features.  FontBook 3.0.1 is free for current users. A full list of updates is below:

• New UI font, including kerning
  • Class category change to “Cs” (was Cl)
  • Redesigned UX elements and icons
  • Imprint: text changes
  • Enlarged touch areas for green pull tabs
  • Editable Favorites list
  • Faster font family view renderings
  • Bug fixes

1. Posted January 10, 2013 at 3:32 AM | Permalink

Reblogged this on brain vomit and commented:
    I downloaded this on my iPhone the other day, i have to say it’s brilliant. Simple and cleanly designed, intuitive and super helpful. Definitely a tool worth having. In fact, I’d even say it’s a must have for all designers.

2. Cameo
    Posted January 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM | Permalink

It’s good, however I can’t find where to enter sample text in the ipad version

3. Posted January 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM | Permalink

Cameo: Go to the COMPARE section and just type the round semi-transparent pencil button.

4. Ian
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:53 PM | Permalink

Hi there. Just downloaded the latest FontBook onto my ipad. All looks good :)
    However- when I go to Settings- the top button is labeled “About this App”- this is NOT responsive to my tap??? I assume this button is meant to take to the version number, etc. it just doesn’t do anything when I tap,it. The other two buttons (Settings and Imprint- both work)

Can you please advise if this is a known bug (or a bug at all???)

Kind regards,
    Ian

5. Posted January 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM | Permalink

Dear Ian, “About this App” is just the Headline of the sub menu points Settings and Imprint. We don’t have a version number for the app, because you can find that in the App STore (3.0.1 is the latest) BUT: We display the version number of our content data base (for support purposes). When you’re in doubt what version number you have, just go to Settings/Settings and push the button “Check for new content”. Best. J”

6. Ian
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 2:32 PM | Permalink

Many thanks for the reply and the clarification. I love the App so far :) I am VERY new to Typography (read “know absolutely nothing about it!). Can you recommend any good resources to give me a general introduction / overview? many thanks. Ian

7. Meghan
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 3:25 PM | Permalink

Ian, check out the FontShop education section (http://www.fontshop.com/education) — specifically the Meet Your Type guide!

8. Gretchen
    Posted February 2, 2014 at 3:29 AM | Permalink

I’ve just downloaded your app, but there isn’t the ‘offline content’ option in settings that I believe should be there. And if I turn off the internet connection no fonts are accessible. Also, the compare function doesn’t work – all the regions are blank and I can’t drag in any fonts. Any ideas? Thanks.

9. Posted February 4, 2014 at 2:09 AM | Permalink

Dear Gretchen,
    thanks for your feedback. Just let me give some first aid advices … feel free to mail me for individual support (jsiebert-ät-fontshop.de).
    1) You are right: The app needs an Internet connection to receive the font sample images. We had to do that because with embedded samples the app would have a size of 6 – 9 GB. The good news is that once downloaded samples are cached in the app. This—for example—gives you the opportunity, to discuss a bunch of typeface alternatives with a client (on the road, at his office, anywhere …) as long as you’ve prepared a selection and explored it via WiFi before. In the apps settings you have the option to increase the cache size as you like, what gives you the freedom to preload 1000s of type specimen.
    2) Compare section (iPad only): Before you compare typefaces, you have to mark them before with the Compare-stamp. that is the gray icon in the menu bar at the left side of the Favorite star,

10. Gretchen
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 12:47 AM | Permalink

Dear Juergen, thank you so much for your reply. The compare function only worked once I had re-installed it, so the problem was clearly just an installation one. And thank you for clearing up the ‘offline’ issue – the descriptions of the app all mention the ‘offline’ setting, so I was just confused about what had happened to it. Thanks for a fantastic app!