Ever have a time when you were overwhelmed with the selection on FontShop and required some personal assistance? Needed help with your files? Or just had a question you wanted answered by a human being? Then you may have interacted with Theresa, a member of our Sales & Support team. Theresa has been with us for “Four Fontastic Years!” and shares a little bit of her experience below:
What are the top three questions you get from customers?
- What is the difference between OpenType and Pro fonts?
- Will OpenType work for both Mac and PC?
- How do I install the font?
What is a memorable time when you’ve really helped a customer?
I receive a phone called once a year from a customer who wants to buy a typeface for his PC with his refund from the IRS. He’s about 70 years old, retired, doesn’t have internet connection, but he used to own a print shop, and wants to make his grandchildren’s wedding invitations. I send him printed customized samples when he needs to see what a font looks like and once he decides on the typeface he’ll give me a call and I’ll place it on a disk to mail out to him.
What are some funny requests that you’ve gotten?
- Do you have a typeface that looks like its on FIRE? We actually carry styles both on fire and then burnt out after!
- Do you have a font that will let me type in different colors, like a rainbow? I had to explain to the customer that fonts are vector graphics and do not come in color.
- I’m looking for a typeface, but I don’t have an image, can I describe it to you and can you tell me what it is? This is sort of like asking like “What’s that movie with that guy?” Unfortunately I’m unable to help these people, but I can try and give them some suggestions based on their project.
What is your current favorite font?
FF More is a new serif family that gives a designer many options because it is so massive – 30 styles! It also works well with FF Good. Both are by Łukasz Dziedzic who also made FF Clan and FF Pitu. Great work all around.
Want to help customers with their typographical needs? We’re hiring an Entry-level Sales/Support Representative at our office in San Francisco’s SoMa neighborhood.